Bannon Tower

Mon Dec 31 12:14:34 EST 2012

Marty,

The signal on the tower is a train order signal capable of 2 aspects: stop or proceed. From my copy of the 1967 rule book. Stop would be the lower lens and it would be red either continuous or flashing per rule 294. The upper lens would be green either continuous or flashing per rule 293. This signal would govern eastbound movements on both mains.

The stub track in front of the tower looks to be a continuation of the Heavy Side lead for use as a drill track for switching on the Heavy Side. It looks like MofW is using it in the pictures for storage.

Don Reventlow

Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:49 PM
Subject: Bannon Tower

I have a couple of questions about Bannon Tower in Columbus. First, what was the purpose of the two light signal mounted on the tower itself? Looking at the front (bay window) of the tower, the signal is on the right. It is positioned in such a way that only southbound/eastbound trains leaving Columbus would see the signal. It is not a position light signal, instead having two lights, one above the other. I assume it is a train order signal, but I cannot find any aspects matching the signal target design in my N&W rule book. The book is dated 1930, so it may simply be too early.

Second, what was the purpose of the stub end track directly in front of the tower?

Photographs of the track and signal can be found on page 124 of Jim Nichols' "Norfolk & Western In Color Vol 1" and at the following link:
http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/utility/display_html.php?color_primary=99&color_secondary=176&color_text=173+%28should+often+be+173+WHITE+or+176+BLACK%29%0A&header_photo=gg-n%26w-43-270.jpg%0A&htmltitle=Bannon&file=.%2Flive%2F05Steam_Railroads%2F35Towers_and_More%2Fbannon.htm

Marty Flick