Bannon Tower

Sat Dec 29 19:49:53 EST 2012

I have a couple of questions about Bannon Tower in Columbus. First, what was the purpose of the two light signal mounted on the tower itself? Looking at the front (bay window) of the tower, the signal is on the right. It is positioned in such a way that only southbound/eastbound trains leaving Columbus would see the signal. It is not a position light signal, instead having two lights, one above the other. I assume it is a train order signal, but I cannot find any aspects matching the signal target design in my N&W rule book. The book is dated 1930, so it may simply be too early.

Second, what was the purpose of the stub end track directly in front of the tower?

Photographs of the track and signal can be found on page 124 of Jim Nichols' "Norfolk & Western In Color Vol 1" and at the following link:
http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/utility/display_html.php?color_primary=99&color_secondary=176&color_text=173+%28should+often+be+173+WHITE+or+176+BLACK%29%0A&header_photo=gg-n%26w-43-270.jpg%0A&htmltitle=Bannon&file=.%2Flive%2F05Steam_Railroads%2F35Towers_and_More%2Fbannon.htm

Marty Flick