electronic Talk Among Friends (eTAF)

Sat Dec 1 08:52:05 EST 2012

As some of you may have read on the mailing list yesterday NWHS is launching
an electronic version of "Talk Among Friends" or eTAF in January 2013. Our
print version is limited to four pages which can reduce the space available
for some of the information we want to include. As an example, the upcoming
print TAF only has a half-page space for the 2013 convention whereas our
eTAF can have all the space we need. So first, eTAF will be an expanded
version of the print TAF. Second, some of the information we put in the TAF
is for members only. By including the print TAF with the Commissary that
information will only be sent to NWHS members and be removed from eTAF. The
third reason is we can use color at no cost. The fourth reason is the most
important, an eTAF allows us to expand member participation through two new
features we would like to run.

One feature will be called "Working the Line in the 21st Century" and the
second feature will be called "Tracking the Heritage Units." Each page will
feature 3 or 4 photographs sent to eTAF by all of you out there rail
fanning. The working the line feature is anything along the former N&W -
trains, depots, signs, signals, industry. The heritage unit feature is
simply where did you see and photograph a heritage unit. These features can
only be run with member participation and no photo selections have been made
for the first issue.

Send your photos with your full name, date of photograph and a sentence or
two about the photograph to:

taf at nwhs.org

As an "oh, by the way," the wreck photos posted to this list by Frank Akers
on November 30 are from the second wreck that happened at Hemphill, WV on
September 26, 1936. Frank has given his permission for NWHS to use his
photos so we will have three photos to illustrate the article. Thank you,
Frank!

Alex Schust