N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Tue Nov 27 07:52:15 EST 2012

I believe several years ago the Arrow published an article by Ron Flanary titled "Death of the Pelican."

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 11:48:26 PM
Subject: Re: N&W/Southern thru passenger service

And The Pelican.  I rode it Abington - Atalla (AL) and Birmingham - Abington in the summer of 1949.

In the era where it originated in NYC as you describe, The Crescent beyond Atlanta was A&WP + Western Rwy. of Ala. to Montgomery, then L&N via Mobile to New Orleans.  The Southerner took today's Birmingham - Meridian routing.  At least that's what was true in June 1967, which is the Official Guide I consulted.

Dave Phelps

The Crescent was a Thru train of the PRR and Southern.  PRR handled DC to New York and Southern handled it from DC to New Orleans via Atlanta.  Some routings during its career took the train over the Atlanta and West Point but I can't right now tell you where that route went, Atlanta to somewhere in Mississippi.

The Birmingham Special and Tennessean were the two name trains handled by the N&W.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC