N&W and Southern Thru passenger service

Mon Nov 5 22:10:38 EST 2012

The N&W/Southern trains (45-46, 17-18,41-42) were dieselized effective January 1, 1958. By this time N&W was moving toward diesel power on all its passenger trains (Shenandoah Valley line trains already had switched to diesel power) and would achieve complete dieselization of passenger service in the summer of 1958 (except for limited, occasional use of steam around Christmas, 1958 and later excursion service).

While GP9's were not used on the N&W/Southern passenger trains, they were used on the N&W/Southern mail trains which ran in December each year to move the heavy volume of Christmas mail.
There trains, utilizing primarily box cars for the mail, ran as second sections to some (not all) of the N&W/Southern trains well into the 1960s.

Ray Smoot
Blacksburg, Va.