End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

Thu Oct 25 14:22:16 EDT 2012

Gordon:

Thank you very much for sharing these wonderful experiences!

Yes, all rectifier locomotives and EMU cars must have smoothing reactors to
reduce the a.c. ripple riding on the d.c. to a level that will allow the
conventional d.c. traction motors (which really do NOT like this a.c.
component!) to commutate without excessive sparking. Of course, the smoothing
reactors had a significant electromagnetic field associated with them, as
you describe, and experience such as the one you describe quickly reminded
folks of the need to shield the surroundings. Proper orientation helped,
but brute force steel shielding was often needed. Out of curiosity I looked
at the smoothing reactor on 135 when it was parked down near the Link
Museum last year (it's clearly visible under the locomotive) and it's well
shielded.

The mercury arc tubes used as rectifiers were pretty rugged and reliable,
but still inherently a weak spot. When silicon rectifier cells of
sufficient rating were available, changeout was a no-brainer. The last few E-44's
were build with silicon cells instead of mercury arc tubes, and if I'm not
mistaken all were eventually retrofitted. I was told that the mercury arc
tubes were what limited the rating to 4400 "diesel equivalent" hp. and that
the changeout to solid state rectifiers allowed a 5000 hp "diesel
equivalent" continuous rating. The Budd-built "Silverliner" EMU cars used mercury
arc tubes in a phase-control mode* (silicon-control recitfiers - SCR's - of
sufficient rating were not yet available), and we quickly discovered that
going around curves, centrifugal force would pull the pool of mercury away
from the igniters and cause the cars to lose power. Fortunately the tubes
had two igniters (the thought had been to use one and have the other as a
spare), so they were quickly rewired to put the two in parallel. I never
heard of this being a problem on EP-5s, EL-Cs or E-44s.

(*These tubes - two "back to back" - were placed between the transformer
secondary and the rectifiers [which by then, 1962, were solid state]. By
firing the tubes "on" at varying places on the a.c. wave, the output voltage
could be controlled to regulate the current. Once the polarity of the a.c.
wave reversed, the tubes automatically shut off and waited for the next
"turn on" pulse to the igniter.)

I wasn't aware GE had build any of the "universal" locomotives. I knew of
the Alco versions (called "MRS-1" for "Military Road Switcher") which had
GE electrical equipment (I *think* 539 engines; they were rated 1000 HP).
There were several at Ft. Eustis when I was there for OCS and "commanding a
desk" in 1966-1969. They belonged to the 714th Railway Operating
Battalion. I'm not sure if they were left-over WWII units or new production. I
thought the latter and may have documentation in my archives somewhere, but I
could be mis-remembering, it's been known to happen!

I only took the NKP-DL&W Chicago-New York sleeper once, but will never
forget waking up to the beauty of the Delaware Water Gap from the eastbound
Lake Cities. My one west-bound trip on the NKP was Erie-Chicago the weekend
the North Shore quit running. Unfortunately by then NKP passenger service
was no longer PA's; we had two steam-generator road switchers, a GP and
NKP's only steam generator Alco road switcher. I came back on the New
England States as the NKP schedule just didn't work for getting home Sunday
evening to go to work Monday morning. Y'all with good memories will recall that
it snowed like **** that weekend; the 'States made an unscheduled refueling
stop at Collingswood "just in case."

Thanks again!

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 10/25/2012 12:22:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,