Boones Mill Depot coming down?

Sat Sep 15 09:30:47 EDT 2012

Unfortunately, the money is not the entire issue on this. I've been
advising Lois as they went along. NS has offered to give them the
building, and, I think $8,000 towards moving it. However, the lot they
thought they would be able to move it to was sold by the town a couple
of months back. The estimate they had on moving the place was
$140,000. But you still have to have a place for it to go. The NS Real
Estate department would not allow them to keep it in place, they are
trying another angle with NS, but I suspect they are too late. They
were given a deadline of September to make the fund raising goal, but
there simply is not that kind of money available in Franklin County on
a six month (or less) timeframe. The town of Boones Mill has no real
industry, Rocky Mount is really the closest place with industry, and
they already have their own depot.

I don't know how many members are on the list, but even if every
member on this list gave $50 each, I'd imagine that would only produce
$150,000 at 3,000 contributions, which would be enough to move the
place, but you still have to have it go somewhere, and land to place
it on in town is pretty limited.

We'll see what develops, I am hoping for the best, but expecting the
worst.

Ken Miller