Roanoke construction

Wed Sep 12 15:06:02 EDT 2012

If memory serves me correctly, passengers arriving Roanoke could descend the stairway from the platform in order to reach the city, or the north side of the rails. They were "one way" exits. You could only pass through the gate to exit the platform. You could not enter railroad property from the underpass.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: Roanoke construction

That stairway was closed off many years ago, probably at the end of passenger service in 1971 if not earlier. That underpass became rather unsafe for walking, probably in the mid to late 1960s as downtown deteriorated, becoming home to various muggers and pickpockets as well as a few drunks.

I remember walking through the underpass not long before they closed it off and noticing a sign on the west wall opposite where the stairway came out on the east wall, that was a directional sign for downtown one way and Hotel Roanoke the other. That sign obviously had no purpose short of directing you coming off the stairway, as it was flat against the wall, I'm surprised I had never even noticed it before then.

Ken Miller