Cabose colors

Fri Jul 27 13:02:40 EDT 2012

David:

I would use any regularly-available model railroad "caboose red" paint. I
have used that on my HO model N&W cabooses and my eye can't tell any
significant difference. Don't forget that the roof should be black, preferably
a weathered black reflecting the steam locomotive cinders that landed there.

For your bird feeder, if you can find Floquil Caboose Red in the aerosol
spray can, that would be the easiest. For models, the spray cans can coat
too heavy, but for your application should do fine. I recommend a grey primer
coat first, as the coverage of this color isn't all that great. Floquil
also makes Engine Black, Weathered Black, and Grimy Black in spray cans.
If you have access to a good hobby shop, they should have a Floquil color
chip card; the colors renderings on their web site are not very good (I'm
being charitable).

Have fun, sounds like a great project!

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 7/27/2012 12:03:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,