Brake sticks

Wed Jul 25 10:52:41 EDT 2012

Everyone who has used a brake stick (me included) can probably come up with a list of "pros & cons". Ken, everything you mentioned is true!  In my humble opinion, the two best things that were introduced during my 30 years, insofar as making the job easier and safer, were the bow-handle switches and the brake sticks.

Jeff

Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: Brake sticks

    I used a brake stick one time when I was cut back to conductor. It was in the middle of a big snow storm. Needless to say, all of that aluminum gets cold real quick and it'll freeze your hands of even through gloves.
    One bad thing about them is that the RR won't let you use them to operate the quick release feature on the handbrake. I would much rather not use one being as it is faster to climb a car and use a quick release. Plus, with having to carry a radio and lantern at night, it was one less thing to have to tote around.

Ken,
    Jeremy is doing fine. Working in the yard at Montview. Thanks for asking.

Jimmy