Brake sticks

Wed Jul 25 08:39:49 EDT 2012

True, and I am a product of that time. At first they were allowed but
nearly impossible to get, then banned, then required, and now optional
but encouraged. Just another example of the ever changing and locally
variable rules we live with. When I say that we are supposed to use
them, it's not a rule violation not to, but our officials have been
known to ask why one was not used. For a little while they were
actually required, until a couple people got hurt using them.

I remember a time when conductors collected and jealously defended brake
sticks, radio handsets, radio batteries, lantern batteries, even entire
lanterns. I still have all of the above (except a brake stick, which I
never had) from my conductor days. Now they are handed out as needed,
or (in the case of the handsets) secured to the locomotives. Now, as an
engineer, I collect reverser handles, and I even have a spare brake
handle. I want one of each in brass, but I haven't found any yet.

On a personal note, how is Jeremy doing? I had a regular job with him
at Linwood for a while, and I loved working with him. We have similar
opinions of our employer, it seems. :)

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman