VGN PAs (WAS: Jawn Henry tender numbers)

Mon Jul 23 10:49:54 EDT 2012

Sounds like a plan to me! I will give the Mehano a look.

Greg Harrod

In a message dated 7/23/2012 7:15:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

I plan to start with the Mehano USRA light Pacific. The drivers are a
little too tall, but overal, the chassis is fairly correct. Boiler needs to be
a little fatter than the one on the light USRA, but somebody has suggested
shortening the boiler from a USRA light Mountain. I happen to have one (left
over from a conversion of the Bachmann light 4-8-2 to a streamlined K2a)
so I will give that a try. No easy tender, but I will start with the shell
from a Bachmann N&W aux. tender, and use the Andrews trucks from the Mehano
tender (and maybe the floor).

Mehano is the manufacturer, and their Pacific has been offered at various
times by Model Power and IHC (maybe others). The later IHC ones have
flywheels.

If you are paticular about the driver size, your best option is the Bowser
NYC Pacific, but the valve gear is wrong and the metal boiler will be
harder to work with. I prefer the styrene parts in the Mehano, and I can live
with the slight difference in driver size.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Sun, July 22, 2012 6:52:58 PM
Subject: Re: VGN PAs (WAS: Jawn Henry tender numbers)

Just curious; which production loco(s) would be a good basis for bashing
into a VGN PA?

Greg Harrod

In a message dated 7/22/2012 8:07:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,