Photo of Hapless Man &Early Portable Radio on N&W

Sun Jun 24 19:02:22 EDT 2012

Several years ago the NS Atlanta Print Shop printed postcard size and larger size prints of perhaps two score old N& W and Southern photos.  The preponderance of the photos were N&W, and most of them were well known photos.

Attached is a scan of one of the cards bearing a photo I have never seen .  It depicts some besuited and behatted dour old fellow beside an N&W wooden caboose, lugging a truly monsterous portable radio.  The radio case looks as if it held eight lantern batteries... much bigger than anything I ever saw in use on the N&W.  No wonder the old fellow looks so crabby -- he aches from the load strapped to his shoulder  !

So here come the standard questions:  Who is the chap, when and where was the photo made, and for what purpose?

-- abram burnett