Morse Day coverage at Boyce

Tue May 1 23:36:49 EDT 2012

From: Channing Frampton <Channing.Frampton at tv3winchester.com>
Subject: RE: Thanks for stopping by on Morse Day!
To: "Frank Scheer" <f_scheer at yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 1, 2012, 10:53 AM

Hey Frank,

Here's the link to the story. I look forward to next year's event!

http://www.tv3winchester.com/home/headlines/Talking_on_Telegraphy_in_Boyce_149440455.html

Regards,

Channing

http://ww2.tv3winchester.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=7084731&h1=Talking+on+Telegraphy+in+Boyce&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=80962&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&rnd=25149424

We use cell phones, computers, and the Internet to stay connected, but one group in Boyce is trying to keep a much older form of communication alive.

It's the telegraph, and experts came from as far away as Rochester, New York to show off their antique equipment Saturday. The gathering was held at the former Boyce train station, now known as the Railway Mail Service Library. It's all part of celebrating Samuel Morse's birthday.

Mike Cizek, a telegraph operator, explained, "I would consider myself fluent in the international Morse Code on the radio with the tones. I've only been doing American Morse on the sounder for about a year-and-a-half now, and I would not consider myself fluent in that."

Telegraph and Morse Code enthusiasts celebrate like this every year on April 27th. The telegraph was replaced by radio communications on the railroads back in the 1980s.