Heritage Unit Photos (NW Mailing List)

Fri Apr 27 17:34:36 EDT 2012

>From the N&W Book of Operating Rules Jan 1, 1967, Page 10:

Engine - A unit propelled by any form of energy, or a combination of such units operated under a single control, used in train or yard service.

I've seen locomotive and engine interchanged in various railroad Rule Books but the key is that a single unit or multiple units operated from a single control constitute a locomotive or engine.

Another proper term that applies to single or multi-unit diesel locomotives or engines is "consist":
Locomotive or Engine Consist refers to the group of locomotives<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive> powering the train. Railfans often use the term "Lash-up" in place of consist. In all my years of hanging around railroaders I've always heard consist used, never lash-up.

Ed Painter - Native Southwest Virginian/Appalachian American (properly pronounced Appa-LATCH-ian)