Heritage Unit Photos

Fri Apr 27 09:33:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Roger wrote:

> railpictures.net has many online images of the NS Heritages units.

> Here is the blue N&W lettered unit:

> > http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?road_number=NS%208103

> Here is the NS original image at Altoona that Larry "enhanced":

> > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=394626&nseq=15

To add yet another wrinkle to this "fun" discussion of what color is "blue"
consider yet another factor. Lots of people are now looking at these
digital images on a variety of computer screens, from older CRTs (if anyone
is still using those) to a range of flat-screen monitors to even smartphone
windows. How many have gone to the trouble to actually color-correct their
monitor to a specific standard? How many of those taking the photos have
corrected their camera, Photoshop, and monitor to all work together? So
what someone sees on his camera, then uploads to the web to be viewed
across the internet probably isn't going to be exactly what the exact color
was seen on the engine. Heck, it's even been suggested that the
professional photographer for NS did some manipulation on his image, so it
would seem that all bets are off.

I'm willing to accept that since the paint and other representations of
these past companies are on engines that didn't exist when those companies
existed (even the paint formulations didn't exist!), that these are a
salute to those companies, their employees, and what they accomplished to
get Norfolk Southern where it is today. NS could have slapped the logos of
these past companies on the side of these new locos or it could have done
nothing. I'm not going to whine and pee in someone's cornflakes
because *I*think the blue is the wrong shade or the Southern logo is
too low on the
nose or some other esoteric detail is "wrong." I'm going to do what I've
always done, which is dig into the history of the Norfolk & Western and
enjoy watching the trains in the present, no matter what color they might
be. The fact that there are Heritage units on the head end is just icing on
the cake.

Bruce in Blacksburg
In the heart of the N&W