N&W Pullman 4137 ?

Tue Mar 27 22:26:18 EDT 2012

Attached are three scans merged into one PDF, detailing something that I picked up three decades ago at a railroad show.   It is a Budd builders plate reading “Designed & Built for Norfolk and Western Railway Company by Budd.”   The plate is of polished stainless steel and measures 2.75 x 6”.

Taped to the back of the plate is a business card on the back of which is written:   “May 1950.   Plate taken from N&W wrecked Pullman & reserved compartment car at Cumberland Maryland Yard.   #4137, Norfolk Pride.”

Five or six years ago I posted to the N&W List a query concerning this item, and the response I received was something along the lines of “No such car.”

Tonight I’m at last ready to mount the plate with some similar items and thought it might be productive to pose the question again.   Does anyone have information about the car from which this item may have been removed?

n   abram burnett