N&W in 1912--Religious services

Sun Mar 18 10:18:00 EDT 2012

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Fri., April 12, 1912

CLOSING DAY'S SESSIONS FULL OF INTEREST

[This article was about a "Men and Religion Forward Movement" campaign conducted over several days at Bland Street Methodist Church. It is all omitted here except for one paragraph pertaining to the N&W in Bluefield.]

At 12:30 largely attended shop meetings were held. Dr. Johnson speaking at the round house, Mr. Arnold at the east end and Dr. Bird at the west end. The men seemed deeply interested in these services and enjoyed the gospel messages spoken so earnestly by the visitors.

[My wife's brother-in-law's father was a rail-buff Lutheran minister in Roanoke many years ago who used to hold noontime religious services in Roanoke Shops. I can't imagine that or the Bluefield religious services being permitted in these shops today.]

Gordon Hamilton