Virginian in 1912--Connecting lumber railroad

Wed Mar 14 22:25:08 EDT 2012

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Tue., April 9, 1912

PRINCETON DAY BY DAY
------
Mills Closed Down by Slide
Owing to an immense slide upon the railroad of the Bluestone Land & Lumber Company, six miles north of Gardner, the lumber mills of that company situated at Gardner, have been forced to close down for some two months. It is estimated that it will take over one month to clean up the earth and rock which has tumbled in on the railroad, shutting off the route by which saw-logs are brought to Gardner from the timber lands of the company on Bluestone and lower Brush creek.
[This lumber railroad had both narrow-gauge and standard-gauge track, the latter connecting with the Virginian at Gardner Jct., about two miles north (compass direction) of Princeton. The mention of Brush Creek brings back memories of my youth on my grandmother's farm along Brush Creek, but a couple of miles south, instead of north, of Princeton.]
------
Gordon Hamilton