While searching for N&W and VGN articles

Tue Mar 6 07:24:06 EST 2012

Gordon,

After all the discussions about the C&O depot, etc., I don't believe there is anything off topic on this list.

JIm Brewer

Glenwood MD

Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 8:57:45 PM
Subject: While searching for N&W and VGN articles

This is a wee bit off topic, but I came across the following small article while searching the Bluefield newspaper for articles about N&W or VGN.  It gave me a momentary feeling that I was reading the article in the present, but could forecast events in the future.
------
Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Thu., April 4, 1912

READY FOR MAIDEN TRIP
------
Floating Population of Giant New Steamship Nearly 4,000.
    London, April 3.—The gigantic new steamship Titanic of the White Star line arrived today at Southampton from the yards of her builders at Belfast. She is to be made ready for her maiden trip across the Atlantic, the start of which is scheduled for Wednesday of next week. The Titanic is a sister ship to the Olympic. She is 860 feet long and has a. displacement of 60,000 tons. The traveling list on the big ship will have 600 names on its first class roll, in addition to 500 second and 2,000 third cabin passengers. To this will be added the crew of 800, making a total floating population of nearly 4,000.
------
Gordon Hamilton