N&W in 1912--Two Graham items

Wed Feb 1 17:39:00 EST 2012

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Sat., March 23, 1912

THE GRAHAM DAILY NEWS
------
The Norfolk and Western Will Help
That the Norfolk and Western Railroad [sic] Company has a most progressive management and acts in a spirit of co-operation in the. development along its lines and is a good friend of the town of Graham will be seen from the following most pleasant letter:
"Mr. Walter Graham,
Sec'y ., Graham Progressive League,
Graham, Va.
Dear Sir:
Your,letter of March 16 to President Johnson has been referred to me to answer. Am glad to see that there is a movement at Graham for civic improvement and I beg to say that the Norfolk and Western Railway Company will do their full share and join with .you in this spirit us far as they can.
I have instructed our people to see what can be done on the part of the railway to improve the situation at Graham.
Yours Truly,
N. D. MAHER,
2nd V. P. & G. M.
------
Graham Furnace
The Norfolk and Western Railroad [sic] Company has reduced the freight rate on pig iron from Graham forty cent a ton. This is expected to put Graham furnace into blast permanently as Graham in now on the best basis. The iron business is gradually recovering.
------
Gordon Hamilton