Thu Jan 5 07:05:14 EST 2012

Last night, the first Wednesday of 2012, I had the pleasure of "Takin'
Twenty with nine of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.
We talked about New Year's resolutions. At our ages, a resolve to us
becomes a precious thing to be taken seriously, or simply a hollow
promise. None were announced.

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the February "Trains"
magazine. On page 18 "Fido's favorites and fiberglass" tells of
researchers "quest for a better railroad crosstie, leads to new designs
and materials". One of the most promising is a special mix of cured
concrete formed in the shape of a dog bone. Other materials considered
are plastics, composites and fiberglass. Norfolk Southern plans to
field-test the latest in these composite ties from Japan on bridges
first. I told the Brethren about the concrete ties, recently discussed
on this site, installed when the siding at Kumis was extended, after the
merger. They are still in service. Page 64 has a great photo of N&W
SD-45 #1776 in red white and blue for our Nation's 200th birthday in
1976, and the announcement that Virginia Museum of Transportation just
got a "Trains" grant of $10,000 to repaint her in the 1976 scheme. We
discussed, as we have in the past, what the VGN might have painted in
the anniversary scheme. Most agreed that an EL-2b would have been a good
candidate; I'm betting that if the VGN had survived to 1976, they would
have also had an SD-45 to use, but would have opted not to paint anything...

For Show and Tell, I passed around a 1919 USRA Virginian Railway card
certifying that "E. M. Hey was employed as a fireman and was examined on
the rules of the Operating Department and is qualified by his knowledge
of the rules to fill the position of Fireman". It is signed by Charles
Reid, Engineer. Ronnie Victory brought an early photo of a VGN Yard crew
posing at the Roanoke Yard Office. Raymond East commented about "Pop"
Stone, VGN Conductor who posed in the photo. "Pop" was known as one who
almost never broke a sweat, worked into his eighties, and had an unusual
walk. "His knees protruded and got to where he was going first", Raymond
commented.

Also passed was the March 8, 1912 "Bluefield Daily Telegraph" articles
from the N&WHS site posted by Gordon Hamilton. One states "The
structural steel work for the new railroad shops at this place
(Princeton), according to the Roanoke Times of Tuesday, was let early
this week to the Virginia Bridge & Iron Company at the price of
$25,000". We all agreed that now, $25,000 wouldn't cover the cost of the
working drawings to build such a shop. Another article tells of the
first couple cars of Pocahontas coal ever hauled to Norfolk. According
to a history of Roanoke County, Roanoke City and the N&W RWY, "When the
first car of coal reached Norfolk, it was decorated with flags and
bunting, switched to the street car tracks, and hauled about the city,
drawn by six horses, while ahead of it went a brass band. The coal was
afterwards, by order of N&W President Kimball, distributed among the
poor of Norfolk, who received the benefit of the first car of Pocahontas
coal ever hauled to tidewater".

The Jewel from the Past is from October 6, 2005: "The VGN Brethren are
NASCAR fans and last Sunday's Talladega Race was re-lived. Landon
Gregory said he remembers the King of NASCAR, Richard Petty, racing at
Victory Stadium, next to the VGN Roundhouse in Roanoke. He said in one
race, a wheel came off Richard's car and killed a fan. 'Cornbread'
Victory recalled once riding with NASCAR driver Curtis Turner (from
Floyd and Roanoke, VA) in his 1940 Ford modified at the Starkey track
just south of Roanoke. Seems that Curtis had a shoulder belt but
'Cornbread' said 'Curtis, if you'll stop this thing, I think I should
get out!'"

Then there's this: When an elderly VGN Operator was stopped by a young
state trooper for speeding, he got the best speeding excuse ever: "I had
to get there before I forgot where I was going".

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CCCCI