NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 76, Issue 14 Proposed Pier 4 atLamberts Point

Fri Dec 16 11:27:16 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/15/2011 8:45:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

I'm a little confused. I was not aware that Pier 4 had a "kick back." Pier
5, yes, but the hoppers for pier 4 were unloaded before the coal got to
the pier. It was carried to the pier in transfer cars. Jim Nichols

Jim Nichols:
You are correct, the Pier 4 dumper(s) and "kick back" were NOT a component
of the pier, but were located inshore.

Here is Mr. Smith's obituary (in part) from the February, 1957 edition of
the Norfolk & Western Magazine"
"The Norfolk & Western has suffered the misfortune of losing an able,
beloved, and widely known opera-
ting officer in the prime of his career - Harry Burke Smith, 54, general
superintendent, Eastern General
Division. Mr. Smith was killed in an accident at Lamberts Point coal
piers on January 19. He was struck
by an empty coal car. The tragedy occurred at 9:15 P.M. . . . . . . ."

Harry Bundy