NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 76, Issue 14 Proposed Pier 4 atLamberts Point

Thu Dec 15 18:34:00 EST 2011

I'm a little confused. I was not aware that Pier 4 had a "kick back." Pier 5,
yes, but the hoppers for pier 4 were unloaded before the coal got to the pier.
It was carried to the pier in transfer cars.   Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Thu, December 15, 2011 9:40:24 AM
Subject: Re: NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 76, Issue 14 Proposed Pier 4 atLamberts
Point

[This became Pier 4 which was placed in operation December 23, 1913, and lasted
until December 31, 1963, just after Pier 6 was placed in service.]

Gordon:
There were several interesting facts discussed about Pier #4 at the
Transportation Dept. retirees
luncheon yesterday.

Although the "official" retirement date of the pier was Dec. 31, 1963, there
were problems
"fine tuning" Pier 6, and Pier 4 continued to handle the overflow.

Most ironic, however, was an incident that happened on Pier 4 and I can't recall
the date. I
don't have a complete set of N&W Magazines at home to check it out.  You know,
having
worked there, how safety-minded N&W was.  H. B. Smith was General
Manager-Eastern
General Division.  Pier 4 was having dumping problems and rather than delegate
someone
to investigate and report, Smith went out on the pier in person.  An empty
hopper derailed
coming off the kick-back and Smith was killed.  Imagine having to file at CT-37
(Employee
death and injury report) on a General Manager.               Harry Bundy