Z-1's continued

Sun Oct 23 10:01:40 EDT 2011

I remember an excellent story about one of the Class Z's being run
from Roanoke to Bluefield after Southern had dieselized in mid-1953.
The story was written up in a Kalmbach Trains Magazine article in 2003
or thereabouts and gives credence to the fact that they were still
either being used or at least serviceable into that time frame at
least. Can anyone comment on that with first hand knowledge of the
"MIster Fix-it" story which featured a particular RFE or the like on
the N&W?

The basic premise of this part of the story was a boiler had failed
along the Southern line of a customer and it was going to take up to a
week to get it repaired, so a immediate mobile, yet stationary boiler,
was need as a temporary fix until permanent repairs could be put into
place. They had to run over first the N&W and then onto the Southern
west of Bristol as a real steam locomotive operation and it was
supposedly hush-hushed at the time because fans would have besieged
Southern for a trip or something of the like.

Bob Cohen

> Today's Topics:

>   1. Re: Z1a Class (NW Mailing List)

> Fred,

> I will be able to help you if you want a specific road number to model.

There were eight identified Z-1a's by photos that got the
piston-valved front cylinders but remained Class Z-1a to their end.
The road numbers are listed in my Giant of Steam book.  Four of these
were sold to other railroads during WWII; the other four lasted to
1950-52 on the N&W.