Luray depot umbrella shed

Mon Sep 19 16:36:23 EDT 2011

Most of the Shenandoah Division passenger sheds were removed well before the
end of passenger service.
In my memory, which dates to the early 1950's, there was no shed at
Shepherdstown. You could see the patches in the platform where the vertical
supports were removed. On my first rides on trains 1 and 2 in the late
50's, I do not remember seeing any platform sheds still standing. I
especially remember Buena Vista which sat back from the tracks with nice
landscaping between the station and the platform, but no platform sheds.

Incidently, the platform at Shepherdstown was extended in concrete all the
way to the crossing at the south end of the station during World War II
because of the increase in passenger traffic. That extension was taken out
about 1960.

--Rick Morrison