Trip Prompt

Fri Aug 5 19:42:19 EDT 2011

After reading the latest issue of The Arrow 2 days ago, I convinced my wife
to join me for a day trip up from Abingdon to Maybeury, WV to see the
Elkhorn tunnel. The big surprise of the day was the town of Bramwell and
it's first class station restoration. My wife was delighted with the gift
shop and the beautiful interior and displays. And the volunteer lady manning
the sales was delighted to see us.

A little later we left Rt 52 and found the road leading towards the west
portal of the tunnel but then missed the gravel up ramp and stupidly kept on
the narrow, stony and rutted road leading up to the top of the mountain.
About a mile into this difficult assent (no way to turn around) we
encountered a Dominion Power pick-up truck coming down the hill. The young
driver immediately put his vehicle in reverse and backed up about 1/4 mile
until we could ease past. As we came along side him I asked how far it was
to the tunnel. He seemed puzzled and said he did not know of any tunnel
although he had lived in the area all his life. I asked if he would wait
before resuming his downward drive until I could get turned around and
follow him out. He agreed and when we got back down to "level" ground he
stopped and asked a chap at a house about the tunnel and was told about the
ramp we had missed. When we were saying our thanks and goodbyes I decided to
give him the copy of The Arrow, which I had brought with me, so he could get
up-to-date on the Elkhorn Tunnel.

We then proceeded to climb the short gravel road up to the NS R/W so that I
did not come back from the wilds of West Virginia without a tunnel shot. I
particularly like the fact that the east end can clearly be seen although it
is 7 K feet distant.

Mike Pierry, Jr.