N&W in 1911--Two Christmas items

Sun Jul 31 07:13:53 EDT 2011

Correction to previous post - "slow" should have been "also".

Dave Stephenson

________________________________
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Two Christmas items

Ed,

If your genealogy shows a Goodykoontz married to a Pfleiger/Phlegar originally from Pennsylvania, and interspersed with a Willis or two, let me know.  This combination was slow in the Floyd Co. area ca 1810.  We can carry the discussion off-list.

Dave Stephenson

Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:01 PM

It’s always interesting when family names show up in our N&WHS discussions.  Goodykoontz is not a very common name and obviously Very German!  My GGG Grandmother (my Dad’s mother’s, mother’s side) was Maria Goodykoontz who married William Gilham in Maryland. They moved to Floyd County in the early 1800’s .  Additional, related Goodykoontz and Gilham families also settled in Southwestern Virginia (primarily in Montgomery and Floyd Counties) coming down the Great Wagon Road through the Valley from Maryland and Pennsylvania.   Below is a link with information on the Charles  H. “Dan” Goodykoontz, 1881 -  1943.

 http://www.rotary-bluefield.org/founders_ch_goodykoontz.htm

Ed Painter Narrows, VA