Randolph Street Interlocking - pre-1950s

Sun Jul 17 14:18:52 EDT 2011

Abe:
The new interlocking at Randolph St, completed in 1950, replaced the old one which was built 46 years earlier (1905).
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:13 PM
To: N&W Mailing List
Subject: Randolph Street Interlocking - pre-1950s

Does anyone know if a print exist of the "old" Randolph Street Tower's interlocking in Roanoke? By "old," I mean the interlocking when it was handled by armstrong levers and mechanical linkage, before the circa-1952 (?) "modern" Randolph Street "all relay" interlocking.

Also looking for the date the original interlocking was constructed there.

I conjecture that the old, mechanical interlocking handled just the switches to the Shenandoah Division and perhaps a crossover or two at the station, with switches at the west end of the station, Henry Street, and perhaps also the east end of the station, handled by switch tenders. What I have not figured out is how the tracks off the Punkin' Vine were worked.

-- abram burnett