No Lost Battalion Photos

Sat Jul 16 11:52:49 EDT 2011

As most of you know, I regularly post photos of the Lane's Lost
Battalion monthly meeting, this month I am unable to do so.

On Monday, a very fast moving storm came thru the Chicago area, and
tho it only lasted about ten minutes, the out-rushing winds were so
strong that ~ 750,000 ComEd customers lost their electrical service.
When our electric lines came down at ~ 8:30AM, I thought they would
be fixed in a couple of hours, little did I know it would take four
and a half days for a job that took only two hours. There are about
18 homes on our 7000 volt line, seven of which are in our subdivision.

The crew that showed up at 4:30PM yesterday, were nine guys and their
trucks from Philadelphia. What ComEd did was call in crews of other
electrical services from all over the country, even so, it still took
too many days. Of those nine guys, one was up the pole, two were
helping, and the rest just stood around! Of course, we the
customers eventually pays for all of this.

I had our 4400 Watt generator running almost continually, and that is
why I could not go to the Lost Battalion meeting. We went thru ~ $160
of gasoline for that generator. I now realize I need more power, I
thing I should buy a natural gas driven generator of at least 10,000
watts or more, for the next breakdown.

But, as you can see by the photos below, while the electrical power
was out, I still managed to do work on the railroad.

Ron