Hollins College business car in excursion service

Tue May 17 19:39:42 EDT 2011

I once received a printout from Norfolk Southern listing their business car
fleet at the time, with new number old number/Name, type, Service, and
location. It listed the dates some of the cars had NS markings applied to
them to that point. It listed NS 10 "Hollins College" with a date applied of
10/84. I have a photo of the car I took in March 1987 in NS markings in the
business car storage yard by the Roanoke Shops.

I also have a dog eared copy of a pamphlet from J611 being designated a
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark (May 1984) which on the
cover shows 611 leaving Reidsville, NC on August 22, 1982 with Robert
Claytor at the controls. The Hollins College is the 4th car behind the
auxiliary water tender, and appears to be in N&W "colors" at that time.

Phil Miller