N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

Mon May 16 14:26:47 EDT 2011

LOL!!   That is 180 degree spin on the previous responses.

I love the smell of a steam loco, as well.

I was born in '73 so the closest thing I have to compare to was my Great Grandmother's home in Lorain Ohio, where the steel mills left black soot on the houses and everything else when I was young.

I grew up in Bellevue in the 80's, so I had the next closest thing to growing up in the steam era, which was growing up in a very central steam excursion city.  I do remember the cinders falling out of the sky, while standing trackside, as the locos passed.

Mike Rector

________________________________
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

Mike,

I attended school from the third grade through high school in Princeton,
where the Virginian used electric locomotives primarily.  Bluefield was our
big rival in sports, so we derisively call Bluefield "Cinder City."

Does that answer your question?

Gordon Hamilton

>Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 8:36 AM

>Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

>"Clean Mountain Air" ad doesn't mention the hundred of steam engine movements per day.  :-)

>Which brings me to the real question: was Bluefield, or Williamson "smokey", or did the wind blow smoke away from town?

>Mike Rector

>Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:16 PM

>Subject: N&W in 1911--Featured in ad

>Bluefield Daily Telegraph

>September 22,

1911

>[The following advertisement by the Bluefield newspaper is unusual because it features a profile of the N&W mainline between Norfolk and Columbus.  It is best viewed full screen, and a transcription of the caption follows the image.]

>    EXAMINE THE ABOVE PROFILE.  IT WILL SHOW YOU THAT BLUEFIELD IS THE HIGHEST

>POINT ON THE LINE OF THE NORFOLK & WESTERN--A LOCATION ON THE MOUNTAIN TO

>WHERE GOOD, PURE AIR BRINGS HEALTH AND HAPPINESS.  BLUEFIELD OFFERS MANY CHANCES

>FOR THE ENTERPRISING AND ADVANTAGES TO THE HOME-SEEKERS--GOOD SCHOOLS, ALL MOD-

>ERN CITY-LIFE FACILITIES--BUT STILL CLOSE TO THE MOUNTAINS AND NATURE.  MAKE INQUIR-

>IES OF THE DAILY TELEGRAPH, BLUEFIELD, W. VA., AND ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE PROMPTLY

>ANSWERED.

>Gordon Hamilton

>Browse

the NW-Mailing-List archives at

>Browse the

NW-Mailing-List archives at

Database: 1500/3640 - Release Date: 05/15/11