Water columns

Sat May 7 20:01:32 EDT 2011

I have been watching the various N&W Steam videos and always see the water columns to be a grimy dark grey.
Were they originally light/medium grey, gloss black, or even chromate green when newly painted or built?
I don't seem to be able to get written descriptions of the trackside devices as used in the 1930's era.

I did track down some info that suggests the cement items constructed in the
mid-atlantic area used a lot more sand in the mix during the 1930's,
which gave the sidewalks, streets, and infrastructure a more orangey/reddish brown look to it.
They still used oil to lay down on dirt roades to keep the dust down too!

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's