NW 1776 questions:

Thu May 5 10:44:17 EDT 2011

Since we're on the subject of the most beautifully painted diesel in N&W
history, and since some members here are close to the VMT, are there ANY
plans to do some much needed work on this locomotive soon? I'm not talking a
total restoration to get it into operating condition (although that would be
nice!) but just a new paint job (with a correct shade of blue) and some work
in the cab area.

Last time I saw it in person, four years ago, it nearly made me ill to see
how it has deteriorated. Pictures posted on the internet in recent years
show it is only getting worse. Its current condition is very poor, and not
deserving of a locomotive that brought as much recognition and pride to the
N&W region as #1776 did.

I realize the VMT can only do so much with the low funds and low number of
volunteers that they have, and they should be applauded for having the
locomotive saved and repainted in the first place. However, if you are going
to go the trouble of acquiring something for a museum, it needs to be
preserved, not just left to rust away.

If a lack of funds is the answer to this question, then I think there are
enough people here to start some sort of special fund-raiser for VMT just
for this project. If the answer is lack of volunteers, then I think there
are enough people here who know how to use a paint brush.

Jim Detty
Lucasville, Ohio