NW 1776 questions:

Wed May 4 20:06:42 EDT 2011

Jeff

I am not so sure it was donated by NS . The story I remember hearing was it had already gone to Cycle Systems.
Of course its only a shell most major components are missing.

Larry

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: NW 1776 questions:

Gene -

The 1776 at the VMT is the original N&W 1776 built in February 1970. The locomotive was painted in bicentennial colors in early (April?) 1974, presumably by the Roanoke Shops. It was repainted to black in either 1979 or 1980 from what I can gather by photographic evidence. The engine was retired by NS in February 1988 and donated to the VMT in April 1991 where it was once again repainted in bicentennial colors by VMT volunteers.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:19:12 PM
Subject: NW 1776 questions:

I'm createing a page highlighting a photo of N&W 1776 at the VMT.
http://www.genebowker.com/fading-glory in my Railroads 101 series.

I want to improve the information on the page, so I have a few questions:

1) Was the SD45 renumbered to 1776?
2) When was the unit repainted? Was this done in Roanoke?
3) When was the unit officially retired?
4) Who is the official owner of the unit?

Thanks in advance as always for the help!

Gene Bowker http://genebowker.com/