N&W loco records

Thu Apr 14 18:12:36 EDT 2011

Thanks very much. I explained to Frank Gibson, who replied a bit earlier, that I was given the front number plate for 261 during a tour of the Roanoke Roundhouse in April 1958 and wondered after all these years what dates applied to its demise. I gather the April date may have been the "out of service " or some such technical date with actual retirement or scrapping following in October. In 2004 I donated the plate to the OWL Museum because the 261 is shown on the insid e front and rear covers of Mr. Link's book.

Thanks again for your reply!

Bob Carmichael

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:37:18 AM
Subject: Re: N&W loco records

#261 was retired at Shaffers Crossing on 10-15-1958.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:25 AM
Subject: N&W loco records

Can anyone furnish the date that N&W 0-8-0 # 261 was retired or scrapped? Thanks!

Robert Carmichael

rccjr2 at comcast.net