N&W in 1911 - Crossing accident

Tue Apr 12 11:56:52 EDT 2011

This reminds me of a near accident I witnessed as a small boy. I was
watching a local passenger train arriving at Riverton, New Jersey, and a
horse and wagon started across the tracks as the train was almost upon the
crossing next to the station. The driver saw the train at the last second
and reined in the horses, backing off the tracks. The engineer then tried
to proceed to the station with tremendous puffing and slipping of the
drivers, but the brakes were too strong, so the train sat there until enough
air pressure was built up to release the brakes and allow the train to
proceed the short distance into the station. This made a great impression
on me that I remember vividly to this day.

Bob McKell

Chillicothe, Ohio