N&W in 1911--Bluefield depot

Wed Apr 6 20:43:59 EDT 2011

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
August 17, 1911

MAIL BOXES AT DEPOT
------
Intended For Late Letters and Only Out-of-Town Mail

Yesterday morning mail boxes were placed at the passenger station for letters too late to be mailed in the postoffice or the street boxes. These depot boxes are for out-of-town mail entirely, and only letters that can not be taken to the postoffice before mails are closed. The box for east bound mail is just east of the building, and the west bound box is in front of the building to the west of the steps leading to the platform.
------
[In addition to boxes in stations for mailing letters, RPO cars had a mail slot on the sides. In my early years in Roanoke I would take a letter to my mother in Bluefield to the local station in the evening when No. 3 was due and slip the letter in the mail slot on the RPO. The letter would be in Bluefield in about three hours and delivered the next day.]

Gordon Hamilton