Train Bell 872 and William E. Warden

Sun Feb 20 08:55:31 EST 2011

Daniel

It still may be possible to identify the railroad and or locomotive from which it came but
need more information. Is there any numbers stamp on the bronze part of the bell? If
this were a Baldwin Loco bell there will be stamped a series of numbers on the very top of the bell (bronze part)
I mean the part under the counter wait (Ball on top) you would have to remove it to see the number. Its called
the Baldwin Code and can identify it down to the particular locomotive. 872 is just a pattern number
but may be compared to other known bells in other collections . Don't assume that its C&O or Sou.
just because it was found in Charlottesville Va. these things get around I found an N&W bell in Salt Lake
City UT.last year. You can tell that this is a very early bell possibly before 1900 due to all the rings and
turnings on the outside or the bell. You may want to try this site for further help http://www.railroadiana.org/
I have sent your photos to several other collector who might be able to help.

Larry Evans
Kenova, W.Va.

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: Train Bell 872 and William E. Warden

Would it be possible, Gordon, to find the locomotive that the bell came from?

H. Daniel Winter III

435 Willwood Drive

Earlysville, VA 22936

434-989-9313