Pay Car

Mon Feb 14 11:16:49 EST 2011

There was no pay car when I worked on the section in 1953, but I remember going
down (to the station?) to pick up my check. They were not mailed. Don't know how
my Dad was paid, but I suspect he had to pick up his check too. We were paid
every two weeks, and our check was always two weeks behind. So I got paid two
weeks after I stopped work.      Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Mon, February 14, 2011 1:17:27 AM
Subject: Pay Car

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 24, 1911

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Pay Car Comes Today
    One of the most pleasing events in railroad circles, and which occurs with
monthly regularity, will be the arrival of the pay car today.  Everybody is
wearing a happy smile in anticipation of the large amount of coin that will be
paid out to the army of railroaders and which benefits everybody in the
community.

February 14, 2011

Nice article, Gordon.  Does anyone know when the "pay car" stopped being
operated by the N&W?  Also, were trackmen, signmen, or others a remote locations
paid out of station agency funds before the era when checks were mailed to
employees?

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone in love with the N&W,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com