UPS was: Re: DPU trains (was Re: Thunder on Blue Ridge)

Tue Jan 25 11:23:04 EST 2011

Assumptions:

I would assume the UPS contracts with Norfolk Southern and other railroads are written with penalties and/or incentives based on schedule and other performance metrics. If a railroad wants to make the maximum payout on this type of contract, consistently meeting or bettering the contracted schedules would be the critical performance metric. To look beyond that, contracts likely too are written such that if the railroad failed to consistently meet its contracted schedule or other metrics UPS could terminate the contract and move their business to a competitor.

My employer has alliances with the certain utilities that are based on a contractual process using metrics to determine the percentage of profit (down to only having total cost covered) for each contracts based on performance metrics; schedule, quality, safety, cost, and other performance metrics. Such contracts drive good performance and cooperation between suppliers and customers to create win-win results. We work under this kind of arrangement at the customers nuclear facility I am assigned to.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR