Which Norfolk bridge is this?

Wed Jan 19 21:18:27 EST 2011

This is a corrected reply that I previously gave. Bridge 5A was listed as being built in 1945 by the N&W Magazine, and being completed in 1947 according to the annual reports.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: Which Norfolk bridge is this?

Mike -

I don't recall exactly when Bridge 5A was built, but IIRC it was utilized primarily, if not exclusively, by passenger trains. 5A is no longer in use, but can be pressed into service should Bridge 5 experience a failure or need to be taken out of service. There are tracks leading from either end of the bridge right up to the mainline where a temporary switch could be installed.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:19:32 PM

Thanks for the info on this picture. Can somebody tell me what is the story on bridge 5-A? When was it added? Is that the one that appears to be in the permanent "up" position and no longer used?

Mike Weeks
Greenville NC