Which Norfolk bridge is this?

Sun Jan 16 08:14:47 EST 2011

Mike

I'm not an expert on the bridges at Norfolk by any means, but I
believe this is a photo of bridge 5, and was used, cropped for
vertical on the cover of an N&W Magazine, don't have the exact date at
hand. The negative number, 5387, down in the lower right hand corner,
based on other negative numbers is probably mid 1922, not the 1950s.
Virginia Tech, for reasons unknown, did not have folks who understood
the N&W's negative numbering, or who chose to ignore it in many cases.
If a negative came there without a sleeve, they assigned a new number
to it, i.e. NS 3717 in this case, which actually, in most cases,
conflicts with a regular N&W negative number. They also did not have
anyone who understood the subject matter, nor could identify it
properly, hence the many errors in the descriptions. Even when offered
correct information, they showed little interest, and never bothered
to refile photos with the corrected information.

Ken Miller