Cab Signals at Lamberts Point ?

Sat Jan 15 21:08:18 EST 2011

In the 1970s, I saw a cab signal on a retired N&W Trainmaster-class Fairbanks Morse engine in the dead line at Shaffers Crossing. It was the only N&W engine I ever saw equipped with a cab signal.

The cab signal was made by Union Switch & Signal, was of the color light type (the colors being green, yellow and red, top to bottom) and was mounted only on the engineman's side. Unfortunately, I did not examine the cab signal control box or check the engine for detector bars.

Several years ago a friend suggested this engine may have been so equipped for use on the "coal hump" at Lamberts Point, which location had, at some point, briefly been equipped with cab signals. If this is the case, the cab signals must have worked inductively off a carrier-type signal imposed on pole line somewhere near the hump tracks. Nonetheless, it seems strange that a cab signal system would have been installed in the 1960s, as radios were coming into use at this time.

Does any have information on a cab signal system used on the coal hump at Lamberts Point, and know what engines might have been so equipped ?

-- abram burnett