Which Norfolk bridge is this?

Sat Jan 15 20:57:06 EST 2011

On 1/15/2011 5:42 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> I was looking thru the images at VT and saw this one:

> http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3717.JPG. Can

> somebody tell me where this bridge is in Norfolk? Secondly, notice the

> five-masted ship on the right of the photo. That seems a little

> strange for the 1950's, unless this photo is much older than that.

> Thoughts anybody?

> Mike Weeks

> Brody School of Medicine

> Greenville, NC

if you look at the VT site there is a "more information" tag below the
thumbnails...

Bridge 5 at Norfolk, VA looking south (Railroad West) from the Norfolk
side across the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River toward Berkley.
Located at mile-post LP-5 where the Lamberts Point branch joined the
original mainline near what would have been mile-post N-1. N&Ws Norfolk
yard and the Norfolk Union Station would be across the tracks to the
right of and behind the photographer. Bridge was operated from a tower
located behind the photographer. Tower manned 24/7. Bell in picture was
a signaling device to warn when the bridge would be raised and lowered.
Operating mechanism probably electric. PER Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, VA

there is still a bridge near Harbor Park where Terminal Station used to
be...I assume it's the same bridge but don't know for sure. Jim McDaniel