First Use of Semaphores on the N&W: When ?

Wed Jan 12 20:50:00 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM, abram wrote:

> I would like to pose a question to the group, the answer to which will

> require some meditative interpretation of the evidence.

> When did the semaphore signal come into use on the N&W?

Funny you should ask. I just finished adding this article, "When Signals
Were New," from the February, 1932, edition of the *Norfolk & Western
Magazine*. I found it when I was looking for an article on the North
Carolina Branch (which I did, along with some other interesting ones). The
article was written by *C. D. Potts*, the Chief Clerk of the Signal
Department, who related the history of signaling and the development of the
department. I don't know how helpful it will be, but there might be some
info that will point people in the right direction.

Although he doesn't list a date, he writes, "The first signals were the
manually controlled type used in connection with the movement of trains
under what was called the "Telegraphic Block System." They were located at
telegraph stations and operated by telegraph operators who directed train
movement. . . . The train order information was given by hanging a red metal
flag in the day time and a red lantern at night, directly under the arm
which directed train movement. The movable signal arm was hand-operated by
means of a lever."

"The first automatic signals installed on the Norfolk and Western were two
which were placed on the Scioto Division, in 1898, they being the Hall,
banjo type, and battery operated. The westbound signal was put at the west
end of Kenova passing siding, about 500 feet west of the passenger station
and on the Kenova Bridge. The eastbound signal was at the east end of North
Kenova passing siding, a short distance west of the Ohio River Bridge in
Ohio."

"In the fall of 1904 three style "B," one-arm, two-position, automatic
signals were installed in the vicinity of Watts water tank, between Radnor
and Dunlow, on the Old or 12-Pole Line between Naugatuck and Kenova."

See http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/signals.html for the whole article.

Bruce in Blacksburg