Structure at Pembroke, VA

Thu Dec 30 09:41:15 EST 2010

That's correct. The Pembroke station was about a mile east. And the picture is mislabeled in that it is west, not east, of Pembroke.

Ray Smoot
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:11 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: Structure at Pembroke, VA

Its the remains of a storage/loader for crushed stone I assume. August A.
Thieme took some photos there (photos in his book "The Norfolk & Western -
As I knew it" available in our online commissary).

Pembroke Limestone 0-4-0 (very interesting image)
http://nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=43147

Empty limestone train heading back to quarry (This is just west of loader,
now approximate location of highway road)
http://nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=43148

O. Winston Link shot photos here as well. I found these that show the
concrete structure:

> http://linkmuseum.pastperfect-online.com/37479cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=03619E55-0CF2-43A7-B256-871319963988;type=102

> http://linkmuseum.pastperfect-online.com/37479cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=90CFE13D-FFD0-44B8-9D91-249908905210;type=102

As I understand it, the N&W combo station stood some distance east of this
structure. Archives has photos, but nothing scanned it appears.

- Roger Link