"Bizarre Experiments" ?

Wed Dec 29 20:39:06 EST 2010

I was reading Mr. Dressler's account of the two 1910 Baldwin M2's that received massive overhaul to "Automatic Switchers". The reason given for the "bizarre experiments" was to produce a "non-polluting steam switcher capable of 24 Hr. service", not to mention relieving the Fireman of his job.. Had to be more in mind to have spent that much time and money in the Roanoke engineering and shops. I'm sure that some of you can give a better explanation.
Thank you;
Gene A.
Gloucester, Va.