[VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

Thu Dec 23 12:15:10 EST 2010

Skip,

I can only answer Amen! to your serious note.

A word about the whistle signal for grade crossings. Today it is a long long short long; but orignially it was a long long short short. Engineers were told to time the signal to end at the crossing, but that was difficult to do because this required to judging the train speed to end the signal at the grade crossing. Later the last part was changed from short to long and the engineers were told to hold the long until the engine reached the grade crossing. This was told to me by S. R. Winegard, retired RFE. I think it only coincidence that the grade crossing and morse code are related in any way.

Merry Christmas!

Bud Jeffries