*** SPAM *** Re: "Bottling the Air"

Wed Oct 27 09:37:33 EDT 2010

"I'm not certain how to answer the question about the train being pumped on both ends"

About the only time this would happen is if the ground air was turned in to the opposite end that the units were on. Something one has to be careful to notice. I always draw the air down when coupling up so I can tell if the ground air is turned in.
I had this happen one time when the ground air was turned in east of the hump. It so happened that when I had the brake released, I was getting air exhausting through the brake valve. This went on for quite a long time. I cut the brake out and the pressure started rising. At a 115lbs and rising I cut the brake back in and let the air exhaust until the car inspector finally took the ground air out. I then had to go through a long series of applications and releases to get the trainline down to where it wasn't overcharged. Without doing so it could have caused brakes to stick out on the road.
Back when we pushed the "Glasgow Turns", If I was on the pushers, I would turn the feed valve down to 75 Lbs. and start charging from the rear. When I started getting an exhaust from the brake stand, I would cut the feed valve out and we would make our brake test.

Jimmy Lisle